WAYNE MARTIN WHALEN, D.C.
Doctor of Chiropractic
Fellow, International Academy of Chiropractic Neurology
Fellow, International College of Chiropractors
Qualified Medical Examiner
9570 Cuyamaca Street , Suite 101 Santee CA 92071
Facsimile (619) 258-6887
Web Site: www.DrWhalen.com
Clinic Director, Whalen Chiropractic, Santee CA, 1988-Present
• Doctor of Chiropractic, Palmer College of Chiropractic-West, Sunnyvale, CA 1986
• Bachelor of Science, Nursing, San Diego State University, 1978
• Diplomate Program, Chiropractic Neurology, Los Angeles College of Chiropractic, 1990-93
• Board Certified, American Chiropractic Academy of Neurology (DACAN) 1993
• Diplomate Program, Chiropractic Rehabilitation, LACC, 1994-95.
PROFESSIONAL VOLUNTEER POSITIONS
• Emeritus Representative, Council on Chiropractic Guidelines and Practice Parameters (Clinical Compass) (CCGPP), 2015-Present
• Appointed Expert Consultant, California Board of Chiropractic Examiners, June 2008- present
• Workers Compensation Research Institute (WCRI) California Compscope ™ Advisory Committee, 2007-present
• Workers Compensation Committee Chair, California Chiropractic Association, 1999-present.
• Peer Reviewer, Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 2016-present.
• COCSA District V Representative, Council on Chiropractic Guidelines and Practice Parameters
• President, California Chiropractic Association, 1999- 2000
• Chair, Council on Chiropractic Guidelines and Practice Parameters (CCGPP), 2005-2007
• Executive Committee, Council on Chiropractic Guidelines and Practice Parameters (CCGPP), 2000-05
• Academy Council, American Academy of Spine Physicians, 2002- present
• CCA Representative, DWC Official Medical Fee Schedule Subcommittee, 1999 & 2007.
• Executive Committee, California Chiropractic Association 1995-2002
• Executive Committee, San Diego County Chiropractic Society, 1992-95
• President, San Diego County Chiropractic Society 1993-94
• Founding Member, San Diego Chiropractic (injury) Network, 1996-present
• President, Associated Students, Palmer College of Chiropractic-West, 1984-85
• California Chiropractic Association, 1983- present
• American Chiropractic Association, 1983- present
• California Society of Industrial Medicine and Surgery, 2002-2010
• American Chiropractic Academy of Neurology 1993-2008
• International Academy of Chiropractic Neurology- Fellow, 2008-present
HONORS AND AWARDS
• Thomas Truax Award for Governmental Affairs/Political Action, CCA, June 2016
• Fellow, International College of Chiropractors, October 2008
• President’s Award, California Chiropractic Association, 2002 & 2008
•Doctor of the Year Nominee, California Chiropractic Association, 2004.
• Doctor of the Year, California Chiropractic Association, June 2003.
• Distinguished Service Award, California Chiropractic Association, June 1999
• Thomas Truax Award, San Diego Chiropractic Society & CCA, June 1998
• Doctor of the Year, San Diego Chiropractic Society, 1994
• President's Award, San Diego Chiropractic Society, 1992 & 1993
• Robert B. Botterman Award for Community Service, CCA & San Diego Chiropractic Society, 1991
• New Doctor of the Year, CCA & San Diego Chiropractic Society, 1990
• Student of the Year, California Chiropractic Association,1985
• Student of the Year, Palmer College of Chiropractic -West, 1985
Globe GA,. Farabaugh RF, , Hawk C,. Morris C, Baker G,. Whalen WM, Walters K, Kaeser M,
Dehen, MD and Augat, T. Clinical Practice Guideline: Chiropractic Care for Low Back Pain, J Manipulative Physiol Ther, in press.
Dehen, MD, Whalen WM, Farabaugh RJ, Hawk C. Consensus Terminology for Stages of Care: Acute, Chronic, Recurrent and Wellness. J Manipulative Physiol Ther Jul/Aug 2010; 33:458-63.
Globe GA, Morris CE, Whalen WM, Farabaugh RJ, Hawk C. Chiropractic management of low back disorders: report from a consensus process. J Manipulative Physiol Ther Nov/Dec 2008; 31:651-58.
Whalen WM, Resolution of Cervical Radiculopathy in a Woman after Chiropractic Manipulation. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine 2008; 7, 17-23.
Whalen, WM, “Chiropractic in the Workers Compensation System,” The Journal of Workers Compensation, Vol 16 No 3, Spring 2007, Standard Publishing Corp.
Whalen W.M., Lewis, E.A., “Chiropractic Best Practices: Not Fear, Just Facts.”The American Chiropractor. August 2006.
Whalen,W.M., “A Moment of Mercy and a Clinical Compass.” Dynamic Chiropractic, December 17, 2005, Volume 23, Issue 26.
Whalen, W.M., “Calif. D.C’s Face Workers’ Compensation Dilemma.” Dynamic Chiropractic, June 2, 2003, Volume 21, Issue 12.
Whalen,W.M., “The Chiropractic Care Alternative”, San Diego Union-Tribune Editorial, March 31, 2005.
Fellow, International Academy of Chiropractic Neurology, May 2008.
Diplomate, American Chiropractic Academy of Neurology (certificate 151) 1993 (•)
California License to Practice Chiropractic (18999) 1988
Hawaii Chiropractic License (DC712) 1995 (inactive)
Qualified Medical Examiner (905133), Department of Industrial Relations, State of California
Certified in Manipulation under Anesthesia, Southern Calif. University of Health Sciences, 2003
Industrial Disability Evaluator, California Chiropractic Foundation, 1997
Diplomate, National Board of Chiropractic Examiners 1986
Certified Radiology Supervisor (RHC 129330)
Registered Nurse License, California (R301603) (•)
Certified Public Health Nurse (•)
Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (•)
Certified Emergency Department Nurse (•) (•) expired/inactive
• Empowering Health Network, co-founder, 2008-present.
• The Chiropractic Business University, President and Founder, 2008-present.
• Whalen Chiropractic, Santee, CA, 1988-present
• Staff Chiropractor, Personal Physicians, El Cajon, CA, 1997-2000
• Owner, “Chiromed-P.R.O., and "Chiro-P.R.O.", peer review company, 1997-2000.
• Examination Doctor, Menlo Park, CA, 1986-87
• Chiropractic Intern, Palmer College of Chiropractic -West, 1985-86
• Staff RN, Emergency Services, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, 1987-88
• Staff RN, Emergency/Trauma Department, Stanford University Hospital, CA, 1983-87
• Flight Nurse, Life Flight, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, 1981-83
• Staff RN, Emergency/Trauma, various San Diego Hospitals, 1978-81
• Psychiatric Assistant, various San Diego psychiatric hospitals, 1975-78
TEACHING EXPERIENCE/ PRESENTATIONS
• Lecturer, CCF Harvest Moon Seminar, Personal Injury and outcome measures, Santa Clara, November 1995
• Preceptor Faculty, Los Angeles College of Chiropractic & Palmer College of Chiropractic-West
• "The New CMT 97 Codes", February- March 1997, various California society meetings
• Numerous California Chiropractic Association seminars on basic workers compensation, disability report writing and QME recertification courses, 1997-present, several in association with the California Society of Industrial Medicine and Surgery
• Guest Lecturer, Palmer College of Chiropractic-West; quarterly lectures to students; 1998-present
• Presentations regarding CCGPP Best Practices document: Nebraska, Washington, California and Colorado, 2005-6.
• Cedars Sinai Medical Group, Basic Work Comp course, August 22, 2006.
• Panelist, Discussion on California Reforms, Workers’ Compensation Research Institute, Boston, MA, November 2006.
• “Chiropractic Care: Utilization Review, Best Practices, Treatment Guidelines or Caps; CCA Winter Convention, February 2007, Reno.
• Patient Pain Diagnosis and Treatment: neurology made simple, CCA Convention Reno NV, Feb 2008 with Julian Vickers DC.
• QME recertification 6 hour course, CCA Convention Reno February 2007, 2008.
•Recent Developments in the Treatment and Evaluation of Neuromusculoskeletal Injuries, panel faculty; California Society of Industrial Medicine
and Surgery, San Diego, June 17, 2010.
•Palmer College of Chiropractic-West, Evidence Based Care; San Jose, April 21, 2011.
• California Applicants Attorney Association, San Diego, “Almaraz-Guzman”; April 22, 2011.
• Palmer College of Chiropractic-West, Practice Management; San Jose, 2012- 2014.
• California Society of Industrial Medicine and Surgery, Disability report writing, 2014.
• Division of Workers Compensation, State of California QME continuing education provider ( Number 1070) 2009-present
• QME recertification 6 hour course, CCA Convention San Diego 2015, 2016, 2017, 2108.
• Multiple civil, Administrative, criminal and malpractice cases including plaintiff and defense cases:
• Salgado v. Elleraas, Malpractice case 2009
• Division of Workers Compensation v. Faragallah, defense expert, Administrative law hearing, 2016.
• Division of Workers Compensation v. Capen, DWC expert, 2017
• Division of Workers Compensation v. Simon et al , defense expert, February 2018.
• White v. Woodward, Malpractice claim, defense expert, 2018.
• Byrd v. Kline, Malpractice claim, defense expert, 2018.
• Oksness v Bystrom, Malpractice claim, defense expert, 2018.
• Podboy v. Mobus, Malpractice claim, plaintiff expert, 2018